(Mass Appeal) – Going to a nice cafe for a cup of coffee and a delicious baked goody is a great way to pass some time in the morning. If you don’t have that kind of free time but want to treat yourself to a cafe at home, well, you’re in luck! Michael Kachadoorian, cookbook author and creator of cookingnaturally.comhas a wonderful recipe.
Baking Naturally Coffee Shop Lemon Bread
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs (room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
1/2 cup buttermilk (see below for substitution)
For the syrup:
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
For the icing
1 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
1.5 tbsp lemon juice
1 tablespoon of milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9×5 inch (or 8×4 inch) loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, lemon zest and salt. Put aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using an electric mixer), cream the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until pale and frothy, about 4 to 6 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla extract and lemon juice. Beat on medium-high speed until blended.
- With the mixer on low, add about a third of the flour mixture and mix until almost combined, then add half the buttermilk and mix until just combined. Repeat with another third of the flour mixture, then the last half of the buttermilk, ending with the last third of the flour. Beat until just incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out almost clean with just a few moist crumbs. Cooking times vary, so keep an eye on that.
- Let the cake cool for about 15 minutes in the pan. Mix the lemon juice and icing sugar for the lemon syrup. Carefully invert the loaf pan and transfer the cake to a cooling rack, then brush the cake with syrup while still warm. Let the cake cool completely.
- When cake is cooled, combine all icing ingredients, start with 1 tbsp lemon juice and milk and add remaining lemon juice as needed. The icing should be thick and not runny. Pour the glaze over the cake and let dry before serving.